Thursday, August 23, 2007

When I think I'm doing just fine thank you


Too often I forget just how pervasive my sin is, especially in light of the perfection of who God is. The following has helped me to remember how the curse has permeated every area of my life. Sorry to bring the room down today, but I challenge you to read this without thinking of how it applies to someone else, but how it applies to us each individually... for ALL have sinned and fall short.


Holy and righteous God, we confess that like Isaiah, we are a people of unclean lips. But it is not only unclean lips we possess. We are people with unclean hands and unclean hearts. We have broken your law times without number, and are guilty of pride, unbelief, self-centeredness and idolatry. Affect our hearts with the severity of our sin and the glory of your righteousness as we now acknowledge our sins in your holy presence.

We have had other gods before you
We have worshipped and served the creature rather than the creator.
We have sought satisfaction in this world's pleasures rather than in You.
We have loved to praise our own glory more than yours.

We have taken your name in vain.
We have prayed religious prayers to impress others.
We have uttered your name countless times without reverence or love.
We have listened to others use your name in vain without grieving.

We have murdered in our hearts.
We have often destroyed our neighbor with our tongues.
We have been quick to uncharitably judge others.
We have considered revenge when we were sinned against.



We have committed adultery with our eyes.
We have loved temptation rather than fighting it.
We have lusted after unlawful and immoral pleasures.
We have justified our lusts by using the world as our standard.

We have stolen what is not ours and coveted what belongs to others.
Our lives overflow with discontent, ungratefulness, and envy.
We have complained in the midst of Your abundant provision.
We have sought to exalt ourselves through owning more.

We have lied to You and to others.
We have told distorted truths, half-truths, and untruths.
We have despised the truth to make ourselves look better.
Even in our confession, we look for ways to hide our guilt.

O God, we have sinned against your mercy times without number. We are ashamed to lift up our faces before you, for our iniquities have gone over our heads. If you, O Lord, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand? How shall we answer you? We lay our hands on our mouths. We have no answer to your righteous wrath and just judgment.

We have no answer. But God Himself has mercifully provided one for us.

I wish I could remember who to credit this to, but it has been tucked in my notebook and well worn. I guess I can add the sin of plagiarism to the list...

11 comments:

Michelle said...

Thanks Shannon!! This is an awesome reminder. We could probably stand to read this everyday to put our lives in perspective and help us remember that sin is sin!!

Sarah and Tim said...

Thank you for this. I often times, look at my self in utter grossness. I think of all the things I have done wrong, and then it will hit me, the God does have mercy, and Has forgiven me. Thanks for sharing. I sometimes wonder if I will ever get it right.....

Angela said...

That was good! I needed that reminder today...and everyday.

angela said...

yeah, i needed it too. and yeah, michelle, we often loose perspective and become objective but in truth: sin is sin. let's address it as that. i am a sinner but for the grace of God i die.

megan haug said...

thanks for sharing this. we cannot be reminded enough of our depravity!!

i liked what i read, so i decided to try to track it down. i believe you can give credit to Bob Kauflin for writing. www.worshipmatters.com

so you can cross plagiarism off your list, at least in this count...

Kathy Eden said...

Thanks Shannon! I needed the reminder too.

Anonymous said...

that is one of those things that you read..and it hurts. but it is a good hurt. much needed..thank you

Shannon H. said...

How thankful I am that none of my blogger friends have said:

"Hmmm... doesn't really apply to me."

Because that would just make them a Liar-McFibby-Pants.

Megan - thanks for doing the superlative shrewd sleuth-work. (Say that 5 times fast)

megan haug said...

i tried. it ended up something like "shuperlative slewd sleuth work"

Carsen said...

Thank you sister! Angela and I have been talking a lot about this and it does hurt. But I like to think of it as growing pains!

Tanya said...

Ouch! That hurt! I certainly did need to hear though. Thanks a lot! Praise God that He is merciful!