Friday, July 06, 2007

Hold me to it...

I'm usually pretty thankful for my lot in life - I enjoy what God has given me (FAR beyond what I deserve fer sure!)

However, today I caught myself mitching and boaning. Nothing major, just the everyday frustrations of being the family chef, dishwasher, waitress and bum-wiper. It just seems as if I'm trudging through quicksand. The moment I get the kitchen clean from breakfast, my counters are littered again with PB&J crusts. Oy! The second I've folded all the towels it seems somebody is out of clean underwear. Geez!

This is especially embarrassing to admit because I have witnessed how the majority of the world tackles their daily chores. I realize that we live in Disneyland compared to 85% of others.

And here resides more proof that there is something broken inside of me. I should be rejoicing to be able to serve the family God has given me in such luxury. Praise Him that my washer/dryer run at night while I sleep and I wake to my automatic coffee maker's daily brew! Yippee-for-me that my stove can whip up Mac n' Cheese and my sink always has hot water at the ready to clean the pot.

Sadly, the best I could do this morning was roll my eyes and let out an exasperated sigh as I had to unload the dishwasher AGAIN. Anyone who reads this has full permission to thwack me on the side of the head if you ever hear me gripe. That is accountability baby!

My Kitchen



Our Kitchen in Haiti



My Laundry Closet



How it gets done in Haiti



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

we were not created for this world,
we are created for eternity with Him
(you know who i'm talkin bout).
so no matter our lot
whether plenty or barely enough
we will always struggle to be content here.

no spiritual spankin here
just plain ol' thats the way it is baby!

your kitchen looks great by the way,
mac'n'cheese in style ; )

Kristina said...

Thank you for sharing. I feel the same way and was to embarrassed to admit it!

Michelle said...

Thwack? Really, I can thwack you?!! Cool! I'm remembering that one.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your honestly and willingness to share your heart.
I am pondering what Gail said...we will always struggle with being content, no matter what we have or don't have. That in itself is convicting. Why can't I be content with what I have...with what Christ has blessed me with. Why do I assume that I deserve more. Shouldn't Christ alone be enough for me...and you?

Anonymous said...

i think it is so easy to focus on the things of this earth as "god has blessed me with" rather than
just being blessed by who God is.
He IS the ultimate gift not what
we own or what luxuries we have here to make life easier.
our heart attitude changes once we allow Him to change our perspective of who we do our daily grind for.

just tell yourself 'I fold these clothes unto the Lord"
dirty butts unto the lord
dishes, toilets, floores- shall I go on?
ok now i'm just being silly!

so the next time my cleaning lady
complains about having to clean up after me
i'll tell her "unto the lord honey"

Anonymous said...

Dail, can you come live with me!!??

angela said...

excellent attitude check, shannon! i need a thawck a day, i think. thanks for reminding me.

praise God, it's not about me; it's about HIM!!

Shannon H. said...

Okay, I must amend my statement to read:

You have full permission to thwack me on the side of the head and scream, "Unto the Lord Honey!"

Kathy Eden said...

I'm right there with ya! :o)