Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The Incredible Disappearing Boy


I have made a heartbreaking observation.

My son is invisible to others.

When he was a baby and a toddler, people would often stop us and remark on his hair or how cute he was or how articulate he seemed to be. It truly seemed like we couldn't go anywhere without being stopped and gushed upon. But now that he is 7, almost 8, he barely registers on other's consciousness unless he is being naughty or obnoxious.

Then I realized that this seems to be true of almost all other young boys I see. No wonder they fall into trouble. They are in the gap and the shadows.

Babies are cute. Toddlers are funny. But after that... what happens? Doesn't it seem like they don't register until they are teenagers and 'look like trouble'?

Because my son is so entirely competent I forget how much he still really needs me. He doesn't need me to make his breakfast or tie his shoes or wipe his rear. He can spend hours on his own reading or creating a new Lego masterpiece. But he does still need me and his dad to listen to him, to hear what he has to say. Doesn't he? He does still need to know that this world sees him and that he matters and can have an impact. Right?

So do me a little favor... the next time you see a 7 year old boy in the grocery store, please stop and remark at what a smart/funny/ _____ boy he must be. Look him right in his blue marble eyes. Let him know he is not invisible.

9 comments:

Elisabeth said...

I felt this way for a LONG time about Harrison & i when Mia first came home! Everyone came to see the new little girl in the nieghborhood! And then her first trip to the grocery store was just plain annouying! But know that she know she USED to get all of the attention, the is a 'bit' obnoxious!

But Calvin is a cool kid & he is not invisable to me!

lori shepler - said...

thanks for the reminder

lori (http://fromourbunchtoyours.blogspot.com/)

angela said...

i will! i promise. i love their eyes. and i would love to meet calvin.

Sarah and Tim said...

You have a great point! I don't just see this in boys, but girls too. I think your boy is soooo cute. He has to most amazing eyes!

Kristina said...

Wow! God sure has given you a lot of wisdom and eyes to see what others don't take the time to.

Thank you for the reminder, for a minute I thought your were talking about my middle child.

I promise I will keep my eyes open!

Jeremy said...

Now that is a great post.

Jeremy said...

Now that is a great post.

jennifaye said...

Wow, good point.
I have adopted all ages but we always think the little ones are the cutest. After they move in the older ones can be the sweetest.

Great blog, thanks!

Heather said...

I have a six year old son, and I know he often feels invisible as his cute 3 year old brother steals the show. I think I'm gonna go give him a big hug and tell him how awesome he is!