Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Dress for Success

Since our church is focused on Living on Mission within our own community and culture, I though it would be helpful to post these guidelines written by our favorite Missionaries in Haiti, Angela and Carsen. I'll be embracing this wisdom as I tackle the front lines at the Valencia Mall.

"How to Dress Like A Missionary"

  • Please wear a long skirt.
  • If a long skirt is not available, you may consider wearing a dress underneath your tee shirt.
  • Please wear a conservative top - keep your straps under wraps.
  • Sandals are acceptable. However, as you never know what terrain you may come across, you may be more comfortable in tennis shoes.
  • To keep your hair cool and off your neck, you may consider the french braid, a simple but elegant hair-do. A bun high on the head is an acceptable alternative.
  • To identify yourself as a Christian a cross necklace can help bridge the language barrier.
  • Carrying a bible may also be useful in case of emergency conversion issues.
  • Please see attached photo for further explanation!

14 comments:

angela said...

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU POSTED IT!!!!

AH HAHHAH HAHAH
OH CARSEN!

Carsen said...

Hahaha. Nice.

Merci so much.

Shannon H. said...

Hmmm... I'm dismayed to notice the omission of sensible undergarments.

I'm thinking an Olga JogBra and sensible all cotton Jockey briefs?

No pirate hiney-floss!

angela said...

is there something in particular you'd like to say, shannon? that last comment seemed fairly directive. possibly you should have looked a little more closely at that bag you took back with you. certain items were just a bit too big . . .

Shannon H. said...

Just one word for you You-You:


Something Sensible

angela said...

ew! i have to disagree: that's two words, my friend!

Shannon H. said...

dagnabbit - i meant to hyphenate

Gail said...

wow is right Ashly! I opened this up with Carsen's little sister, Kynsley sitting next to me. She says to me, "who is that?" I tell her "that's sissy!" and she simply responded with "UGH". I think that sums it up.

I guess I'll never fit the "missionary mold", I don't even own a sensible bra!!! And long skirts just make me look shorter then I already am.

Kathy Eden said...

I don't think I could come up with an appropriate comment if I tried :o)

It's Gonna Be Me said...

Oh man! Now I need to repack my bags for next week's trip. I think I have just enough time to run out and get some new sneakers! I'll be sure to bring enough bobbi pins to keep my hair up in that bun!

LOL~Colleen

Anonymous said...

did you really call it butt floss? That's such a hater thing to say! Anyways, I am SO glad that I brought down all of my very large t-shirts, tennis shoes, buns and skirts last time. But, to fit in a little better with the culture, I think I am going to bring socks to wear under my sandals, should I end up wearing them instead of my shoes.
Shanley

Tanya said...

Wow, I really was a fashion disaster the last time I was in Haiti. Thanks for pointing out the error of my ways! ha ha! I will try to be more sensible in the future.

Anne said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....

CG said...

Gorgeous! Although for church days you ought to consider a looser blouse with puffier sleeves. Floral print fabric is best, as long as the flowers are unrecognizable or roses. Tiny gingham checks are also acceptable in light blue or purple, but don't even think of adding bust darts! A huge hand-crocheted lace collar would also be lovely, but make sure it coordinates with your crocheted bun keeper.