Monday, October 22, 2007

Fierce Fires


This is a picture of the Malibu Presbyterian Church than burned to the ground yesterday. Indeed, it does feel like the end times around Southern California. The sun was blood red yesterday from all the smoke and haze. School was canceled today. Homes have been evacuated. The wi
nds are gusting up to 70 mph which is spreading hot ash and embers resulting in more fires. There is NO humidity and it will be almost 100 degrees today. It is hot as H-E-double hockey sticks.

In Malibu the old Castle on the hill has burned down as well - but I love this quote I read in the LA Times today:

The castle belonged to Lilly Lawrence, the daughter of a former Iranian oil minister. She said she was able to gather a few things before the fire engulfed her home, including some jewelry and memorabilia that included Elvis Presley's Army fatigues.

She didn't seem too worried about losing most of her belongings in the fire.

"My parents taught me not to allow my possessions to posses me," Lawrence told KABC-TV. "So, that's the story. The house is a house."

She was able to say that about her castle - I hope I would be able to say that about my condo!

Please pray for our firefighters - they are all working on no sleep and with zero percent containment at this point. Please pray that these crazy warm winds die down. Please pray for safety. I can't imagine this air is good for the elderly or asthmatic... it hurts to breathe.

MORE PHOTOS

7 comments:

angela said...

i am praying! and checking the city website (thank you, brendie).

megan haug said...

yup, praying as well. i just got an email from some friends that live in Orange County (i believe) about the fires. i'm not sure where orange county's at...but apparently in that area.

Elisabeth said...

And i ask myself: Do i still want to move back to my home in SoCA??? :)

Carsen said...

Praying!

Amber said...

I just read your blog and noticed we posted the same pic of the church. We've driven by that church numerous times on our way to the beach. Very sad. Hope you don't have to be evacuated...I noticed the fires are in Stevenson Ranch now. We'll be praying for you guys.

Kathy Eden said...

Praying!!!

Lisa said...

I cannot imagine what it is like there. I am praying!