Thursday, October 11, 2007

A word on Three Angels and our employees.

There may be cultural differences and things we don't understand or that are frustrating. But these children are cared for by women who sing hymns and pray with the children. They work long hours for little pay. They have hard lives that many of us can't even begin to comprehend. How many times have I 'needed a break' from my own children after just a few hours of hyperactivity or bickering (and I only have 2 to deal with).

Are there things that could be improved? Yup. Is this a young organization with many things to learn? Uh-huh. Would I want my own child to be raised in this environment? Nope.

But do I understand how things are at other orphanages in developing countries? Absolutely. And I rest in the fact that we will improve, we will mature and we are providing the best possible Christian home we can. We are working within the constraints of a Haitian culture and an incredibly small budget and minimal manpower.

I praise God for our employees and the people who are willing to encourage and assist. I pray for protection against those who choose to tear down and criticize. I have heard that if you are not helping you are hurting. I like that saying.


Thank you to Leah who gave all of our nannies little gift bags of hand lotion and lip gloss. I pray that the love and attention people bring down for our children is also given to the people who take care of them day in and day out.

5 comments:

Kristina said...

AMEN!!!!

Can you tell me how many nannies there are at the O?

angela said...

there are 57 employees. 11 of them are men. and i too would like to thank all those who bring something for our employees. fiona always remembers them as does lara. and MANY of our parents bring gifts for the nannies of their particular children! i really appreciate this because it shows that they respect that someone else is caring for their child "in the meantime."
thank you, shannon, for this post.

Ashly said...

cool post shannon. i truly respect the work these women do everyday. they are filled with hope, faith and love. to hear them sing while they work is a sweet sweet sound. they are wonderful role models for our children!

Michelle said...

Praise God for our amazing staff!!

Kathy Eden said...

Amen Shannon! A huge "thank you" to all of the nannies & workers at Three Angels...they are awesome & I am so grateful they are taking care of my children while they are waiting to come home.